Pages

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Solar lamps - stage 2 accomplished!

So, the first stage of my project has taken another step forward today.
You may remember that I ordered solar lamps from Sunny Money - the trading branch of the charity Solar Aid - last month. I placed an order for 40 of these lamps:
I chose to do this in the hope that the lamps would enable students to study, adults to work in the evenings - something we take for granted, but something which is impossible for most of those living in bush villages like Utange, where electricity is rarely available in ordinary homes - and if it is, that electrical supply often fails for days on end. 
Ordering the lamps was not as straightforward as I hoped, largely because English banks require additional proof that the money is being used for legitimate purposes and not for terrorism.  The transfer seemed to take a long time, but did eventually happen, and today the lamps were collected from Mombasa:
40 solar lamps now in Utange, waiting to be distributed to 4 local schools and then to pupils and staff (5 of each) in each school.  My intention is to make this donation annually.  Next update will hopefully include information about the recipients.

I am into more detailed planning for my trip next year now.  If you are interested in joining me in Utange at some point during August and would like information, please leave a comment and I will contact you.



No comments:

Post a Comment