Pages

Monday 6 August 2012

Why I do this part 2...

...subtitled "Why you might want to do something like this too..."

I have had lots of people telling me that what I do is wonderful.  Like I am someone special for doing it.   I am not.  I get more from doing this than anyone else does.

I get to sew.  I love sewing.  Now I can sew every evening and never feel I am wasting my time.

I get to try out new ideas.  All the time.  I don't have to sew what someone else would like me to make.  Sure, I have certain things I need to repeat (owls!!) But I never make two items exactly the same.  So each one is unique.  I have failures - but you don't see those!  With denim, it's OK to throw those failures away  if necessary - though usually I rip the seams out and use the pieces to make something else.  Crazy patchwork covers a multitude of sins! When I make something which other people feel is good enough that they will pay good money for it, I feel that I have achieved something.


I get to feel good.  Every time I make something I know I am helping a child to eat.  How many people can say that they spend two or more hours a day, every day, doing something that they enjoy which also makes them feel good? I now think of items in terms of how many children they feed. The feeding programme currently costs about £1000 each month.  With that £1000, 500 children are fed.  So a £1 purse feeds a child for two weeks.  It feeds a child who, without the feeding programme, would only eat every three or four days.


I get to talk to lots of people about something that matters to me.  Usually, they want to hear.  (If they don't, I usually work that out and shut up quickly, honest!)

I go to lots of places and events I would not normally visit.  I meet people I would not otherwise get to know.  I can only do one event a month (well, OK sometimes I do more than that...) but I have met so many interesting people through doing this.  

Sometimes I get really nice comments.  Like the one from Martin who recently made a regular donation to the feeding programme. He said that he "met a really lovely lady who makes denim bags.at the E2BN conference  She inspired me to contribute."


As a result of making bags, I had the chance to go to Kenya.  I had never imagined I would do that.  It was an incredible experience. One day I will go back.


By making bags from old jeans, I like to think I am helping to reduce landfill.  A small thing, in the grand scheme of things.  But it matters.

Maybe sewing isn't your thing.  But I bet there is something you can do that will give you a similar feeling.

I'm so blessed to be able to do this.

I'm sharing this post at these link parties:
The Girl Creative
A Round TuitSew Can DoThe Girl Creative
Sew Happy Geek
Sew ChattyMondays @ All Things Fee!
Manic MondaySew ChattyCalling all Crafters
Ninth Street Notions
Inspire me MondayCraftomaniac MondayI MAde it Monday
Etcetorise

5 comments:

  1. In a small way, I can totally relate to how you feel. I don't sew anywhere near as much as you for charity, but the sewing I've done for 'Hopeful Threads' and 'Dress A Girl' certainly makes me feel good and it's definitely not a chore. I love sewing, but there's only so much I can sew for family. What you do is wonderful, but it's great you enjoy it at the same time!!! The world is a better place thanks to people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blessed to be able to do this, but those kids are blessed to have you in their corner. I agree with Pam wholeheartedly - the world is most DEFINITELY a better place thanks to people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful gift you're giving to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! It's so nice to be able to make a difference by simply doing what you love doing!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think you're awesome! I'm so inspired by all of your projects. I did a homemade pillowcase drive some time ago and was completely overwhelmed by the amount of pillowcases people made. It really is a wonderful feeling to sew for others~

    ReplyDelete