Pages

Thursday 14 June 2012

Monkey purse tutorial

As promised, here is the tutorial for the monkey purses.

I used beige felt for the features, and a pair of brown jeans (ladies' size) made seven purses.  I used buttons for the eyes.

You will need:
Main fabric and lining fabric - two 4" squares, one 4" x 3.5" rectangle with one long edge cut into a curve.
Four main fabric pieces cut to an ear shape.
Two felt pieces cut to the shape of the face.
Two felt pieces cut into smaller ear pieces.
Two small black buttons.
One small square of velcro.

First applique the felt face to the flap piece, and the ear felt pieces to two of the main fabric ear pieces.  I drew on the shape for the nose and mouth and then sewed over them with a narrow, close zig-zag stitch. I sewed on the buttons for the eyes using my machine.


Applique the velcro to the lining fabric flap piece and one of the 4" squares of main fabric.

Put the second main fabric ear pieces right sides together with the appliqued ones and sew round the curved edge with a scant 1/4" seam. Clip the curved seams and turn right side out.  Press and then top stitch round the curved edge.

Sew the main fabric square to which you have added the velcro to one of the lining squares along the top edge.
 Put the ears with the applique side facing the main fabric flap and then put the lining piece on top of this, right sides facing.  Sew round the curved edge.
 Clip the curved seam, turn right side out and top stitch all round the curve.
Put this flap piece between the second main fabric square and its lining piece and sew along the top edge.

Open out and pin the ears on top of the flap piece. Put the second pair of joined squares on top of this pair, right sides together.  Sew around the edges, leaving the short edge of the linings unsewn for turning. Warning - this stage is really tricky - you need to avoid sewing the ears!
Turn through the gap in the lining.  Stitch the open edge closed, either by machine or using slipstitch (depending on how fussy you are!) Push the lining inside the purse.
I'm sharing this post at the following link parties:
A Glimpse Inside

Seven Alive
Catch a glimpseThings I've Done ThursdayLink it Up Thursday
HookingupwithHoHStinkin Cute Thursday ButtonPhotobucket
Hookin up with HoHIt's Stinkin CuteMake it Wear it Thursday



I gotta createEtcetorise

5 comments:

  1. I was at the thrift store today looking at the jeans - my guys aren't going through theirs fast enough so I thought maybe I could find a bargain - NOT SO MUCH! The store had lots of them priced at $14.99 - I couldn't believe my eyes! Fortunately the friend I was with said she thought her son had some to get rid of, and that I can have them - YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now that is SO darn CUTE! Thanks for making me smile!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent tutorial and such a cute projetct. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute purse! My 6 year-old would love it!

    Visiting from etcetorize.

    PS - I'm hosting my 1st giveaway this week...please stop by and enter!
    http://makingitfeellikehome.blogspot.com/2012/06/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids would LOVE this fun monkey purse!!! Great tutorial as always...

    ReplyDelete